Wednesday, December 19, 2012

'Broken Family' My Ass

So, the last few posts have been based on something funny or just whatever the fuck I wanted, so I feel like I should post about something that means a lot to me. After the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, I was reading some comments on the news articles. One of the people commented, "broken families ruin children." This infuriated me. How dare she talk about something that she obviously does NOT understand! Just because two people get divorced does not mean that they are a broken family.

Now, most of you know my parents are divorced. It happened sometime when I was tiny, and I have no memories of my parents being married. That's ok with me. Having divorced parents has taught me a lot about love and marriage, believe it or not. I'm not fucked up because my parents are divorced. In fact, them divorcing aided me in growing up to be a stronger person, with better ideas on marriage and love than I would have had, had they stayed together.

Now, when my parents got married, they loved each other. This is obvious. Why the fuck would they get married if they weren't in love? However, as time went by, this changed. I will not go into details, I don't feel like it's my right to share the details of my parents' old marriage, but from what I understand, things went downhill very fast. It was not meant to be.

I can tell your right now that if my parents had stayed together, my life would be very, very different. It would also be very bad. My parents were not good for each other. They had two beautiful daughters together, the one good thing from their marriage. But just because they had children did not mean that they were meant to be. As I said before, they were divorced before I had retained any memories of their marriage.

My dad married again to my mom (step-mom, but she is my mom, and has earned that title). I have no memories before he married her. She has been my mom for as long as I can remember.

Because my parents divorced, I learned quite a few things. Just because you have a family, does not mean you should stay together. I would rather have the life that I have, than have a life with parents who were constantly fighting and hated each other. For me, that is the worst environment to raise a child in. Parents set an example for their children. I am glad I was taught to be happy. The term 'broken family' should not be used to describe divorce, it should be used to describe married, miserable couples. Just because you are married, does not make you a family.

For those of you who think that divorce is a sin, you are wrong. You are also an ignorant-as-fuck asshole. People look at divorced couples with shame, and say "they should have tried harder." You do not know how hard they tried, or the effort they put into their marriage, so shut the fuck up, you ignorant fuck. You were not there, you do not know the reasons they split. One of my friends once told me "We were two great people, but together, we were not a great couple. That's why we divorced." She married young, but was still wiser on love and marriage than a lot of older people that I know. Just because YOU think they should try harder, doesn't mean they didn't try, or that if they had 'done things differently,' then things would have worked. If you are not happy, then there is something wrong.

I am not saying that you should not try to make a marriage work, or that divorce is always the solution if a marriage has problems. EVERY MARRIAGE HAS ITS OWN PROBLEMS! Every couple should try to work these out, and for the most part, I believe that if you love each other, you can overcome any problems that come your way. However, there are exceptions. Some things we are not capable of working through, and some couples just aren't meant to be. It happens.

My parents were not meant to be. I was not raised with a broken family, I was simply raised with a dad and two moms. I lived with my mom, and stayed at my dads house every other weekend. There were struggles, having divorced parents. However, I am so grateful that I was raised how I was, despite the divorce, and struggles throughout my childhood. For those of you who read "It Isn't So Bad, Afterall..." you know what I'm referring to when I say 'struggles.' I am happy that my parents were not meant to be. They got two beautiful children, and I got two moms. I also got two christmas' every year. Fuck yeah.

1 comment:

  1. Shaye, I LOVE this. I agree with you 100%. My parents have been together my whole life, so I don't know what it's like to come from divorced parents, but honestly I feel like my marriage has been a little harder just because I was expecting it to be easier since my parents' marriage had seemed so "easy". So I agree that no matter what circumstances you come from, it's up to you individually to learn in your own life because you can't only rely on others experiences. Anyway, love this!

    ReplyDelete