Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I Am An Addict

I have a serious addiction to social media. This is no joke. I browse Facebook all day long, hoping and praying that when I hit 'refresh', there will be a new status or picture for me to feast my eyes upon.

Now, when all that shit was going down with equal rights, I was getting really heated about the things that my Facebook friends were posting. This is something I have no control over, but it was pissing me off. I knew that I was going to lose control if I kept seeing what I was seeing. So, I deleted my Facebook.

Deleted.

Fucking. Dead.

This was a big thing for the girl who hasn't actually been logged off of her page for months. I immediately regretted my decision. 'Stay strong,' I told myself. I would get through this. I would rather go without Facebook and keep my friends, than to keep it and end up offending everyone I know.

Now, when you have an addiction, it's a serious problem. You have to have it. I needed to see what everyone was saying. I had to know who was liking and commenting on my things. I needed it. The desire coursed through me, and I had to fight to keep myself from reactivating. It had only been five minutes since I hit 'delete.' This is a problem.

This was when I realized how truly addicting it was to read about everyone's fake lives that they wanted the internet to believe was actually what they were living. I knew what I was reading wasn't true. I knew no one really had a perfect family and at least one thing had to have gone wrong at their wedding. But I couldn't bring myself to stay away from the lies. If I had the choice, I would straight up inject Facebook into my veins. I needed a 10-step program.

That's when I was told to get a Tumblr. What a great idea! I thought for sure this would at least help to fill the void that Facebook had left in my heart. So I got to creating my page.

Readers, Tumblr is the most confusing fucking thing I have ever tried to do. It doesn't tell you the steps to creating your page, like every other fucking social media sight does. Oh, no. You create it, and you're treated as if you've had a Tumblr for years. They expect you to have full knowledge of the site before you even log on. For me, this was not the case.

It's been over a week and I still don't know what I'm doing. I had one follower, and she gave up because she couldn't figure it out, either.

Fuck you, Tumblr.

And for those of you wondering, I went 24 hours before I reactivated my Facebook. And boy, is it good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment